What is the best mouthguard for BJJ? Wearing a jiu-jitsu mouth guard is necessary to protect your teeth since you cannot always prevent having a knee or elbow strike you directly in the mouth area. Because jiu-jitsu is a discipline in which practitioners are often in contact with one another to accomplish the various moves and techniques. Aside from that, Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ) is a superb ground-fighting sport that anybody can learn and practice.
Although, Brazilian jiu-jitsu doesn’t require a lot of equipment. A gi, no-gi costume, and a mouthguard to protect your teeth are the bare minimum needs to train this beautiful martial art.
What Are The Best Mouth Guards for BJJ?
Choosing the most appropriate mouthguard for jiu-jitsu might be a difficult choice to make. So we’ve made a complete buyer’s guide for you to choose the best mouth guards. The list below contains some excellent mouth guards that you need to consider.
|BJJ Mouthguard||Quality Ratings||Store||Visit|
|4.5 out of 5||
|4.4 out of 5||Amazon|
|Shock Doctor Gel Max Mouth Guard||4.3 out of 5
Shock Doctor Gel Max Mouth Guard
Shock Doctor Gel Max Mouth Guard is another excellent mouthguard that is suitable for youth and adults fighters. Indeed, it is appropriate for Brazilian jiu-jitsu, mixed martial arts, lacrosse, hockey, basketball, and other contact sports.
Shock Doctor MouthGuard is also pleasant since it conforms nicely to your teeth and gums, allowing it to remain in place comfortably for long periods. Apart from that, it is available in several custom colors. Indeed, its breathing channels make it simple to breathe while wearing the guard, allowing you to perform at your best on the mat.
Venum Challenger Mouthguards
Venum Challenger Mouthguard is an excellent mouthguard that is suitable for all kinds of fighters. Indeed, it is appropriate for Brazilian jiu-jitsu, mixed martial arts, and any other contact sports.
Furthermore, Venum Challenger Mouthguards are available in various colors, the Red Devil’s most well-known. Otherwise, it is constructed with a gel frame for improved adaptability and comfort and an advanced design that allows ideal breathing throughout the battle. In addition, a high-density rubber frame provides superior shock absorption and protection.
SAFEJAWZ Mouthguard Slim Fit
SAFEJAWZ Mouthguard Slim Fit is another fantastic mouth guard that is suitable for both adults and kids. Indeed, it may be employed in numerous sports, including Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, boxing, basketball, lacrosse, mixed martial arts, and contact sports.
Thanks to its fluid fit technology, SAFEJAWZ provides incredible retention and a secure fit. It will conform to your teeth and remain in your mouth. Otherwise, this mouthguard brand will assist in protecting your jaw from impact when you are biting down on guard.
Why Do You Need a Mouthguard?
The usage of a mouthguard is highly suggested anytime you fight with another person in BJJ, Boxing, MMA, etc. This is because it plays a significant role in protecting your teeth in such contact fighting sports. In addition, a good mouthguard protects a fighter’s jaw from undesirable damage during a fight.
How To Choose Your Mouthguard?
If you’re looking to buy a mouthguard, make sure to consider these steps before making your purchase.
- Choose a breathable and comfortable mouthguard. A mouthguard shouldn’t disturb your breathing while your partitioning BJJ or other martial arts. This means you must be able to breathe and communicate while wearing it.
- Select a mouthguard that is comfortable for you to wear. A mouthguard should cover your teeth smoothly and remain in place during the training.
- Choose a durable and tasteless mouthguard. A good mouthguard must be more durable, as well as simple to maintain and clean. Of course, the material used in your mouthguard should not enable it to distort or rip easily. Otherwise, it must be tasteless and odor resistant.
How To Boil Your Mouthguard?
For those unfamiliar with the process of boiling and shaping a new mouthguard, most of them come with detailed instructions. Nevertheless, the most important things to remember are to use boiling water, an ice water bottle, and tongs to prevent burning yourself while cooking.
- Put your mouthguard in a container filled with boiling water. Allow it to remain there until it is flexible but not too pliable. Then, remove it using a tong, but be careful not to leave imprints on it.
- Insert the mouthguard in your mouth and mold it to your mouth shape. Then, take your time until you can bite down on it.
- Place it in the container filled with cold water to allow them to set.
- Finally, Clean the mouthguard and make it ready for your next BJJ fight.
How To Take Care Of Your Mouthguard?
Once you have found a mouthguard that meets your requirements, you must ensure that it is kept clean.
After each training session, rinse your mouthguard with water and soap to keep it in good condition. Then, use an air-dry or a towel to dry it. In any case, remember to keep moisture away from your mouthguard while you aren’t using one.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is an excellent martial art discipline that involves physical contact. Therefore, using protection, like a mouthguard, must be prioritized when practicing it, especially in the most challenging competitions.
I hope the guide above has helped you choose the right mouthguard for jiu-jitsu, MMA, or other martial arts.
Should I add some other mouthguards to the above list? If it is the case, let me know by leaving a comment below.
Speak your mind; Do you use a mouthguard during BJJ training?
In addition, if you’re a beginner Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner or if you’re thinking about starting training, check out this fantastic article. It will guide you in beginning healthy jiu-jitsu training.
- Best BJJ Gi For Beginners (Helpful Guide)
- What To Know Before Starting Jiu-Jitsu?
- Best BJJ Guard For MMA
- Best BJJ Guard For Short Legs
- Different Types Of BJJ Guards