Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is rapidly gaining popularity throughout the United States, and Los Angeles, California, stands out as a prime hub. With its vibrant martial arts scene, Los Angeles is home to numerous premier jiu-jitsu academies.
Los Angeles has many great Jiu-Jitsu schools, such as 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu HQ, Legacy Jiu-Jitsu, and Jean Jacques Machado Jiu-Jitsu.
This article delves into the best BJJ schools in Los Angeles. Whether you’re just starting your jiu-jitsu journey or are a seasoned practitioner, the City of Angels has many opportunities. Let’s get started!
An Overview of Jiu-Jitsu in Los Angeles
Los Angeles has a rich martial arts history, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is no exception. The city has seen a surge in the popularity of BJJ, with numerous schools and academies opening up to cater to the growing demand.
The diverse population of LA brings together a mix of styles and techniques from around the world, making it a melting pot for BJJ enthusiasts.
Whether you’re a beginner looking to start your journey or a seasoned practitioner aiming to hone your skills, Los Angeles offers many options.
What Are the Best Jiu-Jitsu Schools in Los Angeles?
Los Angeles, the City of Angels, is not just known for its Hollywood glamor. It is also known for its rich martial arts culture. Among the various martial arts practiced in LA, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu stands out as one of the most popular.
Here are some of the best BJJ schools in Los Angeles:
Jean Jacques Machado Woodland Hills Academy
Nestled in the heart of the Warner Center, the Jean Jacques Machado Woodland Hills Academy stands as a beacon of excellence in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Recognized as one of the premier training institutions in Southern California, this state-of-the-art facility welcomes students from diverse backgrounds, each driven by their unique training aspirations.
The Academy has an impressive competition team, including many regional, national, and world champions. This highlights the high level of excellence that the Academy upholds. A typical class at the Academy usually has around ten black belts present.
Prioritizing safety and a nurturing learning environment, the Academy ensures that all classes are helmed by either the legendary Jean Jacques Machado himself or a designated black belt instructor.
- Address: 20935 Warner Center Ln Suite B, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
- Phone: (818) 610-4840
- Classes: Adult Program, Kids & Teen Youth Program.
- Memberships: Teen/Adult Monthly: $250 and Kids Monthly: $225
10th Planet Jiu Jitsu HQ Downtown Los Angeles
Located in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles, the 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu Headquarters stands as a beacon for BJJ enthusiasts. Its prime location at 1314 S Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90015, makes it easily accessible for locals and visitors.
The Downtown Los Angeles Headquarters is led by none other than Eddie Bravo, a renowned figure in the world of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Holding a 3rd degree black belt under the legendary master Jean Jacques Machado, Eddie Bravo is one of the best jiu-jitsu coaches.
10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu offers a distinctive style of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Eddie Bravo imparts his knowledge, teaching six advanced no-gi classes weekly at the Downtown LA headquarters. But that’s not all; the school offers 13 more advanced classes focusing on high-level clinching no-gi techniques.
The Downtown LA school provides 19 weekly beginner classes for those just starting their Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu journey—these range from fundamental to mixed-level types. A unique offering of the school is its Combat Jiu Jitsu classes, which are akin to amateur MMA classes but with open-palm strikes and the option to wear MMA gloves.
Private no-gi lessons are available with several of the school’s esteemed instructors for those seeking personalized attention, albeit at an additional cost.
Whether you’re a seasoned Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner or a newbie, the 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu Headquarters in Downtown LA promises an enriching experience under one of the sport’s most excellent guidance.
- Address: 1314 S Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90015
- Phone: (949) 241-7839
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Memberships: Daily: $40.00 and Monthly: $220.00
Legacy Brazilian Jiu Jitsu – Los Angeles
Legacy Jiu-Jitsu is a well-rounded gym with exceptional instructors and a fantastic training environment. It is a sanctuary for Los Angeles martial arts enthusiasts and fitness seekers.
This facility is more than just a training facility; it’s a home of jiu-jitsu, founded and led by Alberto Crane. Alberto and his family dedicate countless hours to teaching, training, and fostering community among the members.
Spanning over 13,000 square feet, the Legacy Jiu-Jitsu Academy boasts a modern and expansive infrastructure. It offers an excellent experience for BJJ and MMA practitioners.
It has four mat rooms with top-quality mats, a Muay Thai kickboxing and MMA room with a full ring and heavy bags, a TACFIT room with the latest equipment, and a dedicated weight room.
In addition, Legacy is renowned for its flexible schedule and world-class Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai kickboxing, and kids’ martial arts training programs.
Legacy Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy is a community, a family. They have many programs and facilities so everyone can be passionate about martial arts and fitness.
- Address: 330 N. Victory Blvd. Burbank, CA 91502
- Phone: 818.300.5884
- Classes: Fundamentals BJJ, Advanced BJJ, No-Gi BJJ, Legacy Kids BJJ, Women’s BJJ, Muay Thai, and TACFIT.
Meraki Jiu Jitsu – Santa Monica
Founded by UFC veterans Kenny Florian and Jason Hunt, Meraki Jiu Jitsu offers top-notch instruction in a clean and welcoming environment. It is an institution that embodies the true spirit of “Meraki,” which means doing something with soul, creativity, or love and putting “something of yourself” into your work.
The Academy is a creative expression of Jiu-Jitsu art, and they aim to teach their members to think conceptually and develop their styles.
Otherwise, the environment at Meraki is highly supportive and inclusive, ensuring that every member feels welcomed and valued.
- Address: 11677 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Phone: (424) 293-8133
Independent Jiu-Jitsu Los Angeles
Nestled in the vibrant streets of Los Angeles, Independent Jiu-Jitsu stands as a sanctuary for those seeking a holistic approach to well-being. Located at 7901 Melrose Ave Ste 207-208, Los Angeles, CA 90046, it offers a unique blend of physical fitness and mental fortitude through the art of jiu-jitsu.
The Independent Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Los Angeles has some of the best jiu-jitsu instructors, such as:
- PROFESSOR RICARDO WILKE – The Jiu-Jitsu Maestro (4th Degree Black Belt and Founder/Instructor): Having honed his skills alongside Jiu-Jitsu titans like Xande and Saulo Ribeiro, Professor Ricardo is not just a champion but a beacon of the sport.
- PROFESSOR BEN – The Music Maestro Turned Jiu-Jitsu Enthusiast (Black Bel and Founder/Instructor): For Professor Ben, Jiu-Jitsu isn’t just a sport; it’s a life lesson, teaching resilience and grace under pressure, both on the mat and in the throes of daily life.
In today’s world, where the hustle and bustle often disconnect us from ourselves, Independent Jiu-Jitsu provides an avenue to reconnect with one’s mind, body, and spirit. Whether you’re searching for self-defense techniques, a rigorous fitness regimen, or advanced Jiu-Jitsu training, this establishment has covered you.
What to Consider When Enrolling in a Los Angeles Jiu-Jitsu Gym?
When selecting a Jiu-Jitsu school, several essential factors must be considered. These factors ensure that the school aligns with your goals, fits into your schedule, and provides a positive and motivating training environment. Here are the key factors to keep in mind:
Types of Jiu-Jitsu Schools
Jiu Jitsu schools in Los Angeles can be divided into Traditional and modern.
Traditional schools emphasize self-defense and have a more traditional training environment. Modern schools often incorporate various training methods, such as sport Jiu Jitsu and MMA techniques.
When choosing a school, consider your goals and preferences.
Location and Accessibility
The location and accessibility of the Jiu-Jitsu school play a significant role in determining whether you can commit to regular training.
Look for schools conveniently located near your home or workplace, as this will make it easier to attend classes consistently. Consider the area’s traffic patterns and parking availability to avoid potential hurdles.
Instructor Qualifications and Experience
The qualifications and experience of the instructors at a Jiu-Jitsu school are crucial as they directly impact the quality of instruction you’ll receive.
Research the backgrounds and credentials of the instructors, paying attention to their belt ranks, competition records, and teaching experience.
Additionally, consider their teaching style and ability to communicate and demonstrate techniques effectively.
Class Schedule and Flexibility
Another important factor to consider is the class schedule and flexibility offered by the Jiu Jitsu school.
Ensure that the class times align with your availability and that there are ample opportunities to train throughout the week.
Additionally, inquire about the school’s policies regarding make-up classes or alternate training options if you miss a class due to unforeseen circumstances.
Training Facilities and Equipment
The training facilities and equipment available at a Jiu-Jitsu school greatly contribute to the overall training experience and safety. Here are some key aspects to consider when evaluating the facilities and equipment:
- State-of-the-Art Training Facilities: Look for schools with spacious training areas, well-maintained mats, and proper ventilation to ensure a comfortable and hygienic experience.
- Quality of Equipment and Mats: The quality of the school’s training equipment and mats is crucial to injury prevention and optimal performance. Check that the school provides clean, well-maintained mats and high-quality training gear for students to purchase.
- Safety Measures and Hygiene Practices: A school should prioritize safety. Ask about the school’s safety measures, such as having qualified instructors during training, enforcing proper technique and etiquette, and providing first aid resources on-site.
Curriculum and Training Methods
A well-structured curriculum and effective training methods are essential for your growth and progression in Jiu Jitsu. Here are some aspects to consider when evaluating the curriculum and training methods of a Jiu-Jitsu school:
- Fundamental Techniques and Drills: Look for schools emphasizing fundamental positions, transitions, and submissions. Also, inquire about their drills and positional sparring approach, as these methods are essential to understanding and applying techniques in live situations.
- Advanced Training Programs: For students looking to grow Jiu-Jitsu, consider if the school offers advanced training programs. These programs often focus on more intricate techniques, advanced strategies, and competition-specific training.
- Competition and Tournament Preparation: If you want to compete in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournaments, find a school emphasizing competition preparation. Schools with a competitive track record may host in-house tournaments or provide external opportunities.
Student Success Stories and Testimonials
One of the best ways to gauge the quality of a Jiu-Jitsu school is to hear from its students. Success stories and testimonials from current and past students can provide valuable insight into their experiences and the benefits from training at a particular school.
Here are a few aspects to consider when evaluating student success stories and testimonials:
- Success Stories of Students: Look for schools with successful Jiu-Jitsu practitioners. Their success stories demonstrate the effectiveness of the training and the school’s positive impact on their lives.
- Testimonials of Jiu-Jitsu Practitioners: Look for recurring themes or specific aspects that resonate with your goals and preferences in testimonials from Jiu-Jitsu practitioners of different skill levels and backgrounds.
Costs and Membership Options
The cost of training and membership options vary from one Jiu Jitsu school to another. Considering these factors when choosing a school is important to ensure it aligns with your budget and financial commitments.
Here are some aspects to consider regarding costs and membership options:
- Membership Fees and Packages: Inquire about school membership fees, packages, or discounts. Some schools may offer different membership tiers based on the number of classes attended per week or the duration of the commitment.
- Additional Costs for Gear and Uniforms: Consider any additional costs students may have to pay for training gear and uniforms when evaluating a Jiu Jitsu school’s affordability.
- Discounts and Special Offers: Jiu-Jitsu schools may offer introductory packages for beginners or occasional promotions throughout the year. Using these discounts can reduce the financial burden of training.
Community and Supportive Environment
Finding a Jiu Jitsu school that fosters a supportive and encouraging community is essential for your growth as a practitioner.
Here are some aspects to consider when evaluating the community and atmosphere of a Jiu Jitsu gym:
- Team Culture and Atmosphere: Look for positive interactions between students and instructors and supportive behavior among teammates. A supportive team culture and a friendly atmosphere can motivate you to train.
- Support Network and Social Events: A supportive school community can offer assistance, advice, and encouragement during your training journey. Find out if the school organizes social events, seminars, or workshops.
- Involvement in Local Jiu-Jitsu Community: Schools that actively participate in local Jiu-Jitsu tournaments, seminars, or charitable events demonstrate their commitment to the martial arts’ growth and development.
Reviews and Ratings of Jiu Jitsu Schools
In addition to visiting schools and speaking with instructors and students, it’s beneficial to gather information from reviews and ratings of Jiu-Jitsu schools.
Here are some sources to consider when researching reviews and ratings:
- Online Reviews and Ratings: Utilize Google Reviews, Yelp, and Jiu Jitsu forums to read reviews of Jiu Jitsu schools in Los Angeles. Pay attention to positive and negative feedback to get a well-rounded view of the school. Look for schools with a consistently positive reputation and high ratings.
- Word-of-Mouth Recommendations: Speak with friends, acquaintances, or colleagues in the Jiu Jitsu community to gather their word-of-mouth recommendations.
- Comparison of Schools’ Reputations: It’s essential to compare the reputations of different Jiu-Jitsu schools when making an informed decision. Take note of common themes, strengths, and weaknesses highlighted in various reviews and ratings. Consider your goals and priorities to determine which school best fits your needs.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is rapidly gaining popularity throughout the United States, and Los Angeles, California, stands out as a prime hub. With its vibrant martial arts scene, Los Angeles is home to numerous premier jiu-jitsu academies, offering world-class instruction to beginners and experts alike.
Los Angeles has many great Jiu-Jitsu schools, such as 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu HQ, Legacy Jiu-Jitsu, Independent Jiu-Jitsu, and Jean Jacques Machado Jiu-Jitsu.
When choosing the best Jiu-Jitsu school in Los Angeles, you must consider many factors. This includes the location, accessibility, instructor qualifications, class schedule, training facilities, curriculum, student success stories, costs, community, and reviews of different schools.
Finding the right Jiu Jitsu academy is essential for personal growth, skill development, and overall enjoyment of this incredible martial art. Take the time to visit different schools, observe classes, and speak with instructors and students to ensure your chosen school perfectly fits your Brazilian Jiu Jitsu journey.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Significance of Los Angeles in the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Community?
Los Angeles, California, is a prime hub for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, with a vibrant martial arts scene and numerous premier jiu-jitsu academies.
Which Are Some of the Top Jiu-Jitsu Schools in Los Angeles?
Some top Jiu-Jitsu schools in Los Angeles include 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu HQ, Legacy Jiu-Jitsu, Jean Jacques Machado Jiu-Jitsu, Independent Jiu-Jitsu, and Meraki Jiu Jitsu.
What Are the Key Factors to Consider When Choosing a Jiu-Jitsu School in Los Angeles?
Factors are the types of Jiu-Jitsu schools, location, accessibility, instructor qualifications and experience, class schedule, training facilities, equipment, curriculum and training methods, student success stories, costs, and membership options.